Saturday, May 18, 2013

Jody Arias Brings out the Worst in Most of Us: In my humble opinion

Wow, with so much publicity circling around the Jody Arias trial, I figured I should add my two cents: as if anybody really cares.  As an ordinary citizen with no connection to this trial I did not know it existed until my sister innocently asked me if I had been watching. 

I still have not returned to work since my second stroke. ( I have since had a GI bleed, spent time in ICU, had a complete repair of my rotator cuff due to the fall from fainting from the GI bleed, ah life is so good to me, and I can now cut my lawn again with the assist of a self propelled mower.  YEAH.) Since my second stroke I have such ADD symptoms that I usually have about 15 projects going on at one time and I accomplish one, maybe.  So with nothing better to do, I turned to HLN (head line news) and watched the trial.  I was totally lost.  Did not have a clue what was going on.  Jody, from here on out with be referred to as, it, was on the stand and I could not follow her.  I could not figure out if it was her or me (hello stroke) so I figured maybe I could understand better if I watched the trial from the beginning. 

Over the next several weeks I watched each and every day of the trial on YouTube until I was caught up to the current day which by now had some doctor attempting to claim it was suffering from PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), a syndrome I happen to have due to several life threatening events concerning my children.  (Her symptoms were certainly not like mine.  Oh how I would like to forget.  Oh how I would like to get a good night sleeps.  Hello ADD, Hello Stroke, Hello PTSD, wait, I digress.)  I am now caught up with the rest of society and feel vindicated. 

What actually brings me to this write this little diddy is what I see in social media concerning the trial and social media in general.  What happened to Travis Alexander was Horrific.  As far as I am concerned, and I realize my opinion means absolutely nothing, he was totally innocent, he did none of the things accused of him in the trial.  And the things he did were justified.  What I do not understand about the majority of today's society is the need to use profanity to express themselves.

 I think the use of words that were once considered taboo have gone viral and it sickens me.  To me, it shows the true state of the nation, or at least social media.  When a man or woman can't make a statement without the use of such sickening vicious words, there is something wrong with how we have raised this society.  My father would have blushed with bemusement.  My mother would, to this day, scold me on this very social media, on which I write.  Whether you support it or not, whether you want it to be put to death or not, I think that most of us can be a little more articulate with our choice of words.   While you need not think that I am a prude, I have been accused of having a trash mouth, and I am ashamed that I taught my children some choice words I would rather they had learned from someone else.  I am only stating that we should learn to self edit when and where we use these words.

Even after two strokes and having my speech taken twice, I have enough respect for myself and others to choose not to enter into a diatribe of curse words that may offend my readers.  While we await yet another verdict that will not heal the family of Travis Alexander, I hope a blanket of peace will cover them and shield them from the inarticulate yet well meaning world of social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment